Saturday, November 25, 2006

Wasabi

270 West Beaver Creek
Richmond Hill, Ontario
(905) 881-6288

Google Map

Date: November 25, 2006
What's on the menu: Japanese buffet with a small selection of Chinese dishes and dim sum
Drinks: Tea's, fresh fruit juice, pop
Atmosphere: hip, modern, casual
Cost: $14.99 for lunch on the weekends, Dinner $17.99 and up


What’s the saying? If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck… Wasabi falls into a long list of All You Can Eat (AYCE) Japanese restaurants popping up in the Scarborough/Markham/Richmond Hill area. After we had sworn off AYCE restaurants (except for our favourite, Sushi on 7… shameless plug ), there was something about Wasabi that drew us back. What exactly made it stand out? Well for one thing, it’s big… Wasabi, the Home Depot of AYCE Japanese restaurants - no longer should long lineups be a problem. The other thing is décor – sleek lines, dark wood tables, cream coloured chairs… almost hip and modern enough to make us cool.

Food at Wasabi is served buffet style. At the front is the sushi/sashimi area. Behind that is the salad and cold foods area, serving anything from D.I.Y. salads to mussels and peel & eat shrimp. Another section serves up Chinese buffet foods – sweet and sour pork, black pepper beef and the like. You’ll also find a noodle station, dessert platters and ice-cream, chocolate fountain, and the deep fried area (tempura, french fries, spring rolls, etc., but no deep fried banana was in sight). CFO notes that there is also a small section for Dim Sum (Har gow, siu mai and a couple of others), nice touch, but not much to choose from. Rounding out the buffet is the Teppanyaki area - line cooks slice and dice meats to order over an iron griddle.

From the foods we sampled everything was decent. Sushi and sashimi was fresh, but choices are extremely limited unlike made to order AYCE restaurants (there were only 3 types of handrolls at lunch). Other Japanese staples such as pork cutlet and katsu don were also not available. Tempura shrimp was first served in a popcorn shrimp batter, but we later find out it’s just a case of mislabelling (There actually is “real” tempura). One barometer we use to judge an AYCE restaurant is by their seaweed salad and Wasabi’s is good, but we're beginning to think all AYCE places buy in bulk from one supplier.

If you’re used to AYCE places with drinks being included in the price, Wasabi doesn’t do that. Tea costs $1/person, soft drinks an even more ridiculous $1.99. On a positive note, the good thing about Wasabi is that you don’t have to worry about time restrictions, ordering too much food or hiding food you can’t or don’t want to finish for fear of added charges (not that anyone does that).

So it’s official, we’ve sworn (for real this time) no more AYCE Japanese restaurants unless we’re going to Sushi on 7. Nothing against Wasabi and others, but the consistency we’re looking for is just not there. If you’re into the free for all style of eating with a good overall selection of foods (not necessarily good tasting), then Wasabi is your place. For us, we’ll continue our stubborn ways and stay away from AYCE restaurants for as long as our stomachs can… usually till the next “new” place opens up .

Approval Rating:

15 Comments:

At Friday, January 12, 2007 11:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am trying to stay away from Japanese AYCE restaurants as well. I start to feel that they are all the same. And the menu no longer surprises me.

I just went to Wasabi again last night cos' my friend wanted to try it. When I went last time, food was aweful. But they were actually okay last night, especially the teppanyaki. Seems like their food quality is not very consistent.

 
At Wednesday, July 04, 2007 11:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol i love ur idea for the blog it's genious put some advertising up?

 
At Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's the worst jap buffet I 've been to. No service at all esoecially with the manager! She is fking rude. Stay away from this restaurant!!

 
At Saturday, October 13, 2007 12:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They did not accept credit card on Friday Night even did not change back. We do not say them "Keep the change" No matter what the Money to me. I've never see that kind of restaurant be 4 in TORONTO~ over 6 yrs in CANADA!!

 
At Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:35:00 AM, Blogger Skipsteel said...

Great Place to have lunch if you don't mind the crowds. Food was good in general,service how can you really rate service at an all you can eat. They have a good variety, and some foods that are more controlled like hot shrimp prepared on a 20 min schedule that seems weird. Over all I'd give it a 8 out of ten, after all it's a buffet. Good food good value.

 
At Monday, December 31, 2007 12:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it first opened it was gooooood! Need to go back and see if you are right!

Oh where is Sushi on 7? Is that HWY 7 in Richmond Hill, Markham or Vaughan?? A link to your review of it would have been helpful!

Thanks

 
At Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

horrible , ive heard great things about this place, last night went to try it was so bad. food was bad! it's not made with love! it's weak, needs someone that can make sushi right. and they charge for hot tea as well. quality of the food is cheap. i dont understand how people big up about this place, they havent had the good stuff or they just dont know anything about quality. poor poor poor!! needs improvement

 
At Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reading what a commentator entered here about Wasabi and it said "no time restrictions" at this restaurant. BUT, when I made a reservation today APRIL 12 2008 SATURDAY, the woman over the phone informed me that THE TIME LIMIT IS 1 HOUR 45MIN. The servers speak decent enough English and are likely legals but those that work in the kitchen, cleaning staff and cooking staff speak halting English and might not be legals.

 
At Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not go back to Wasabi.
As I was making a reservation, I was told that there is a time limit. When I arrived the line up was long so I thought the food might be good but when I tried each one of them I realized that I was mistaken. The line up for the sashimi line was abominable but I patiently waited and asked for salmon sashimi when it was finally my turn to order and the guy gave me a lousy three pieces. When I asked for more he made an awkward face and gave me two more. The food was so dry and below average. I have been to many sushi restaurants and AYCE buffet places but bly far Wasabi is the worst place I have been to. It is not worth dime and time.

 
At Monday, August 11, 2008 5:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful for blogs nowadays ... Last time my mother visited we had 40 people at a sit down restaurant and it was way too slow. My choice this year is to go buffet so as not to wait. I will not be reserving space at Wasabi as the reviews are mixed. Having said that, I have been to Sushi 7 and have never had bad food there. Thanks for all your comments as I continue my search for another venue for my group.

 
At Saturday, October 18, 2008 9:55:00 AM, Blogger Deibiddo Jonathan said...

I don't know about you guys but I loved the restaurant. It beats the Mandarin by far. Service is meh average. Food is good. Variety is good. Price is average. The location is a little bit too far for my liking (since I live downtown).

 
At Friday, December 12, 2008 3:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family and I walked into this restaurant to eat Japanese buffet for lunch on a Friday. My party of only 5 people arrived at exactly 1:30pm, the sign said lunch operating hours are 11:30am- 2:30pm. We figured we had lots of time, right? WRONG! They turned us away saying they were closed. Excuse me?! The sign clearly says 2:30pm, their excuse was we only had 1 hour to eat. To my understanding if we're in the restaurant before closing time we should be taken care of regardless. Apparently, they have never heard of this concept. So we argued they should put 1:30pm as their closing time and they were confused by that suggestion. So after a bit of arguing we left, this is where our sad story got funny. We were trying to find a place to eat, we looked across the parking lot and saw the all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ House. We walked in and asked the nice lady what time does your lunch close, she laughed and said "We're not Wasabi, come on in!". I was amazed she knew our frustration and I didn't even have to tell her the story. I'm surprised how Wasabi is still in business and people continue to support them even when they treat customers this way. I would give them zero stars if I could. On a good note, The Korean BBQ House had great service, excellent food and very reasonable prices!

PEOPLE, DO NOT EAT @ WASABI!!!

 
At Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I eat at Japanese buffets all the time, someone recommended this sad excuse of a restaurant to me. Let me tell you they have really bad service, the worst I've seen in a long time. They simply don't care about customers. The food is not even that great. I really don't know why people like this place. The prices are very high compared to other Japanese buffets. Stay away from here.

 
At Monday, June 22, 2009 12:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely never going back again. Where do I even begin. First of all not worth $23.99 for anyone 10 yrs old and up. The service (or lack thereof) was horrible not to mention that they already include 10% tips for large group (which is normal) but 10% for lack of service they dont deserve a penny of it. By the way they charge for drinks (pop is about $2.50)even tea which is normally free at other AYCE japanese restaurants.
Sushi and sashimi that you order was okay but the buffet where you go serve yourself is a different story. There were long lines everywhere and they dont replish the cooked seafood fast enough. You have to wait at least 20 mins for crab legs, fish, etc... which you might not even get since it's only enough for 5-6 people then you have to wait for them to cook another batch. Given that you only get 1hr and 45 mins to eat it makes no sense to hae to wait that long for food. Overall food quality is average but not worth the price and service is horrible. Stay away from this restaurant, I don't understand why it's packed as it is not worth it. There are way better AYCE japanese restaurants.

 
At Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gratuity is not included in the bill at this resturant. It was four people on a friday night and the bill came upto $96.00 we rounded it off to $100.00 since this is a buffet and the only time we got served was for the sushi orders otherwise its all self-service. A lady from the waiting staff came upto me and demanded that we tip them more! I was outraged.. we are paying $23.00 for food that is a buffet self-serve style and still being asked to pay atleast $20 more in tip that also so rudely!! I was turned off by this simple act and do not want to go back to the resturant ever again! I am a generous tipper and this time it was an error in our due part however, the attitude of the staff there is a huge turn off and they will not be getting our business anymore!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home